Two of the most common choices for vaping are dry herb vaporizers and oil vape pens. Both offer their own unique advantages for users. At first glance, you may notice the many similarities between dry herb vaporizers and oil vape pens. However, there are also some very distinct and crucial differences between the two devices. To understand these similarities and differences between dry herb and oil vapes, here is a small breakdown.
1.Designed to Vaporize – At their core, both dry herb and oil vapes consist of similar properties. Each device contains some form of a power source (battery) that sends power into a heating chamber or coil with the intent to vaporize a specific type of material (whether it is herb, oil, or wax).
2. Discreet – Both herb vaporizers and oil vape pens are discreet. This is especially true in relation to alternative forms of smoking.
3. Portable – While it is true, there are desktop dry herb vaporizers that are far from portable, typically most oil and herb vapes options are portable. This offers users a great option for traveling and to be able to vape whenever it is convenient for the user.
4. Easy to use – One of the main reasons herb and oil vapes are so popular is due to how easy they are to use. Granted some models do require a small learning curve in order to provide the best experience possible.
5. Temperature Controls – Both herb and oil vape devices have an assortment of models. Each one offers different temperature control ranges. Some are limited, while others provide a full range of settings.
6. Re-Chargeable – The majority of vape pens and vaporizers offer some method for recharging the device. More often than not it is through some form of a charging cable. All these can be found at vape shops.
1. Dry Herbs vs Oil Concentrates– A very obvious difference between dry herb and oil vapes is the type of concentrate required. Obviously, if you are using an oil vape pen you will need oil concentrate, while dry herb vaporizers require dry herbs. However, you should also keep in mind some devices can vape herb, oil, and wax. Therefore, you should always be aware of what type of concentrate your vape can use.
2. Heating Chamber vs Vape Cartridges – For the average dry herb vaporizer, a dry herb vape chamber will last forever. It gets packed and cleared similar to bowl packing. Oil vapes, on the other hand, require a battery equipped with a cartridge. Unlike chambers, the cartridge used in oil vape pens is interchangeable and replaceable.
3. How long the Battery lasts – Batteries in both dry herb and oil vapes use the same simple term for measurement - mAh or milliamp Hour. This not only measures the energy capacity of the battery but also how long the life of the battery is. Vaping dry herbs and heating the chamber it uses requires far more power than heating an oil cartridge. Due to this, dry herb vapes tend to use larger capacity batteries. Unfortunately, they also drain the power from the battery at a much quicker rate. For example, an 1100 mAh battery is not much at all for a dry herb vape but is more than enough for an oil vape pen.
4. Chamber/Cartridge Loading Process – One of the key differences between dry herb and oil vapes is the loading process. Dry herbs have to be ground up and placed into the chamber. After each vaping session, you need to clean out and dump the chamber. On the other hand, oil cartridges come in both pre-filled cartridges and ones you can fill on your own. Both can be screwed onto the oil vape battery for use. While the cartridges can burn out (requiring replacement), chambers do not have this issue.
5. Vaporizer Versatility – Dry herb vaporizers are meant to be used just for dry herbs. However, oil vapes are usually some sort of a vape battery. Due to this, they can often be equipped with different vape attachments to allow for versatility in the type of concentrate (herb, oil, or wax) you use.
6. Maintenance Cleaning – Since both vaping devices are mainly just a battery, neither require much cleaning. Nonetheless, dry herb vapes will need some maintenance from time to time, both with the vape mouthpiece and the filter screen. The filter screen area requires cleaning to ensure you get the best airflow during your vaping session. On the contrary, oil vape cartridges are used until the oil runs out. Although if the airway seems clogged, just heat the cartridge to loosen any solidified oil particles in the airway.
The E-CLIPSE dry herb vape comes with a powerful 2200 mAh battery and is very clear and straightforward to use. Similar to other vaporizers on the market, to turn on the device you simply click the power button fives times. The simple temperature controls make it fairly simple to achieve the desired heat settings just moments of turning on the device. A key feature to this dry herb vaporizer is the ability to easily change between Celsius and Fahrenheit.
To use the E-CLIPSE, remove the mouthpiece to load the bowl. Once you have dropped the ground up herbs into the chamber, replace the mouthpiece back into its slot. After your device is loaded, you simply consume your vapor by drawing from the mouthpiece.
The SteamCloud EVOD features a 900 mAh battery. While smaller than the E-CLIPSE battery, it still provides enough battery power to last all day long (or more depending upon your usage).
Another key difference between the SteamCloud EVOD and the E-CLIPSE is the SteamCloud can conveniently allow users the ability to vape the material of their choice (herb, oil, or wax) with just a small switch from oil cartridges to wax cartridges and even herb.
Like the E-CLIPSE, to turn on the EVOD, simply click the power button five times in quick succession. To change the voltage, you twist the dial located at the bottom of the battery, selecting one of the printed voltages on the dial. While each material option has a slight change to the process, they still offer very similar experiences for users. For oil concentrates, you screw the oil cartridge onto the battery, turn it on, and press down on the power button to begin your vaping session; while wax vaping requires you to first screw the atomizer onto the battery. Once completed, simply scoop the wax concentrate carefully in the atomizer. Then screw on the mouthpiece, and begin vaping by pressing the power button down.
The Titan 2 dry herb vaporizer is a very versatile device. It has been subjected to a wide range of quality control tests to ensure the product can be used in various settings and weather conditions. To use the device, charge the device and place freshly ground herb into the chamber by detaching the mouthpiece (making sure to leave room in the chamber to allow for proper airflow). After replacing the mouthpiece, like other devices press down on the power button five times to power up the device.
Once the device is on, the LCD screen will show the battery charge level and the temperature. Using the up and down arrow keys, select your preferred vaporizing setting. Once the setting has been selecting, press the power button continuously for 3-4 seconds and let go. To indicate the chamber is heating up the screen will glow. You can begin inhaling through the mouthpiece shortly after the heating process begins, as the herb pieces will begin to vaporize shortly after the preset temperature is chosen. Make sure to use a herb grinder for the best experience.
To use the Stylus oil vape pen, you begin by charging the vape battery by plugging it into the charging cable and a working power source. The LED light will turn red while it is charging, and green when the battery is fully charged (typically 1-2 hours after you plug it in). Like other oil vapes, you screw the oil cartridge into the top of the stylus battery. As soon as the battery is connected, simply take a pull and you will begin to inhale the vapor from the mouthpiece.
Unlike the Titan 2 dry herb vape, the stylus oil vape pen is activated at all times while it is connected. The threading on the oil cartridges makes the circuit complete, activating the battery. Therefore, if you are finished with your vaping session, you will need to unscrew the cartridge for later use.
1. Use a grinder. Grinders will help to finely grind your herbs allowing for the best vaping experience for the user. Small nuggets are very insufficient. Not only do nuggets burn unevenly, causing a loss in herb quality.
2. Use the rubber extension mouthpiece sleeves. Vapes can heat up to over 400 degrees. Therefore, when used long enough, the mouthpiece can get extremely hot. By using the rubber extension sleeves you can shield yourself from the heat generated from the vaporizer.
3. Clean or change your filter screen. This will help maintain maximum airflow for your device.
4. Always begin at the lowest heat or power setting. Then work your way up to find the best temperature setting for your herbs.
5. Make sure you understand the difference between combustion vapes and convection vapes. Combustion vapes are essentially just another form of smoking, while convection vapes are more popular and offer healthier options (like the Titan 2 and E-CLIPSE).
1. Always keep your vape pen upright. This is especially true right after using your device. When the oil is hot it is easier to flow within the pen, which when placed incorrectly, will cause the oil to leak into the mouthpiece or other areas within the pen.
2. Always start by using the lowest power or heat setting. Using too much heat or power can cause your pen to burn out the cartridge (rendering it useless).
3. Clear your airways. Dried oil particles can clog airways, especially in cool temperatures. If it is difficult to take a pull, heat the cartridge and take strong pulls on the vape pen until it opens up.
4. Pay attention when purchasing replacement parts. Not all oil cartridges are compatible with all oil vape pens, so make sure you are buying parts that will work with your device.
5. It is always better to choose a vape pen battery that offers variable temperature or power setting options. This will allow for better overall usage because not all cartridges are created equal. Some require more (or less) power to operate than others.