There are many different models to choose from and sometimes it may feel overwhelming. Different shapes, sizes, attributes, and all sorts of functions can lead you in circles and lost about which vape to go with. They all heat your herbs and will get the job done, but what makes them different and why go with this model or that one? We lay out the 3 most important points to consider when shopping for a herb vape.
1. Combustion vs Convection - this is a HUGE difference when it comes to the dry herb vape world, very important to know the difference. The average vaporizer for herb uses convection and these are the vapes touted as the healthier way to smoke or super discreet with no smell - the herbs are heated by hot air. Combustion vapes on the other hand heat the flowers via a hot coil just like a flame - the intense heat combusts the flowers and creates smoke - this type of herbal vaporizer is more about the convenience of smoking on the go without a lighter or bowl.
2. Portable vs Desktop - many may not even know what a desktop vaporizer is - they are the larger, stay at home vapes such as the Volcano that has been around forever. The Desktop vape is usually great quality, gets the job done and will last for a long time - you can plug them into the wall for power but a backpack is needed for transport and they are not to be whipped out on the street corner. Portable vaporizers however can be traveled with anywhere plus they can be used at home. They are much smaller and highly favored over the old desktop predeccessor. They are also less expensive and many great deals can easily be had under $100.
3. Full Temperature Control vs Setting Options - the point of vaping is to have a smooth experience that gets the job done but is not too hot. Different flowers and herbs will bake differently and user preferences widely vary from heavy vapor to very light - so it is important to adjust temperature settings accordingly. On this front, the options are to choose a vaporizer pen that has pre-set temperature settings to choose from, or a vape that allows the adjustment of the temperature by a single degree. Both options are great, but if you really like to fine tune the vaping experience, make sure to have full temperature control.
4. Battery Life & Other Features - among the herbal vapes the battery capacity typically hovers around 2200mah although you can find some with more or less, especially if we're talking box mods. Digital display screens are becoming the norm and even touch screens are available. More importantly, how quickly the heating chamber heats up will vary, and even the chamber material can be different - usually metal or ceramic. If you want to go above and beyond, try a vape pen with blue tooth and other cool functions.
Vaping is a smokeless, often portable, and discrete method of consuming dry herbs - it involves heating the herb without introducing it to a flame or some other source of intense heat such as a hot coil. Vaping first became popular with e cigs and e juice vapers, but in the dry herb world, it is popular as the healthier way to smoke. Smoke contains carcinogens created when herbs are denatured by direct, high heat. Vapors on the other hand contain far less carcinogens because during true vaporization, the herbs are gradually heated by the hot air around them and never burn or turn to ash.
1. Use an Herb Grinder - even with a glass pipe, using a grinder is typically a good idea - it is fast, easy, and leaves the fingertips sticky-free. But grinding up the nugs will create more pieces and increase the surface for an even burn and smooth vaporization - use fingers with a pipe if you choose, but ALWAYS grind when it comes to vape pens. Vaping involves heating the herbs via hot air, so the air needs space to travel through the chamber and will be blocked by dense nugs, plus the exterior bud will heat while the inside stays untouched.
2. Clean the screen - the filter screen is in the direct path of the vaper that flows from the heating chamber up through the mouthpiece. If it is difficult to take a puff, a clogged airway is a likely cause. Fortunately with herbal vapes, usually you only need to clean or replace the screen filters and sometimes the same can be said for the mouthpiece as well.
3. Start at lowest temperature setting - if you already have a favorite heat setting you should always, at least start at a slightly lower temperature when powering up a vape. And if a newbie, start real low, at the lowest temperature makes sense. You can always increase the temperature, so as the vape chamber heats, you can continue to increase the heat until satisfied in terms of the vapor produced and the smoothness of the hit. In addition, not all herbs and flowers are the same, some vape more quickly, slowly or differently than others.
If an herbal vape is maintained properly, not much cleaning needs to be done beyond the screens and mouthpiece. But, just to keep you informed, below we have laid out how to clean each component of any vape pen for flower.
1. Filter Screen - the screen is usually located within the vape mouthpiece, within the vapor pathway, and it is designed to blog any flower particles that may get sucked up. Over time, if you feel it difficult to take a pull of vapor, then it is time for a new screen or a screen cleaning. Simply soak it in a 420 cleaning solution or rubbing alcohol for a few minutes and bat it around a bit to help loosen the particles. In no time it should be clear, just rinse under warm water, dry, and then place back into the mouthpiece.
2. Vape Mouthpiece - some need to be cleaned more than others, depends on the design. But the mouthpiece can be cleaned in a similar manner to the filter screens. Or simply use a soft cotton cloth or cotton swab to wipe away any residue build up - in this case you may still want to use a cleaning solution to help clean.
3. Heating Chamber - frankly, if you empty the contents of after use, no cleaning is necessary, and even if you have a knack for leaving packs inside for long periods, after the vape session there usually is no need to clean - just clear away with a cleaning brush or scraping dabber tool. If you do not like what you see, just dry heat the chamber, aka heat it with nothing inside to burn off some unwanted residue. But if you feel obliged, before cleaning, make sure the chamber has cooled off and is not scorching hot - then, with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alchol or 420 solution, you can swab the chamber walls - WRING OUT the q tip so nothing drips while swabbing, and dry heat the chamber for a few minutes after swabbing, NEVER use water!
4. Exterior - if this was a wax vape you could be dealing with stickiness all over, but with flower vapes, the vaporizer itself stays pretty clean and a friends greasy hands are really the only thing in the way. If dropped in the ketchup or greasy hands, the exterior can easily be cleaned with a damp cloth or clorox wipe - again, make sure not to be dripping wet at all. Just gently wipe down and dry as needed. Do Not put too much pressure on any buttons or display screens and Make Sure the vape is powered down.
Please note: every dry herb vape pen works a little differently. Each dry vaporizer pen purchased at NY Vape Shop comes with an instructional booklet with easy to follow charging and use instructions. If you have any additional questions about your specific vape, please visit /contact/